We spent a week at Rose Lake in early July...our first real extended trip with Emily. We were a little apprehensive about how it would go with two active kids and a newborn at the cabin, but we all had a wonderful time (thank you babysitters!) Brendan came down with some kind of eye irritation (extremely similar to pinkeye) the day before we left (of course!), but it was completely gone after two days (in hindsight it may have been some kind of extreme eye reaction to the aggregate dust from t-ball). We set out Saturday morning and only needed to stop once to feed Emily, although she wanted out of her carseat for the last half hour of the trip. Once at the cabin, we enjoyed spending time with my family, fishing, swimming, tubing, and staying outside as much as possible (it was HOT!) We celebrated Brendan's 5th birthday with my family, visited with my cousin, Rose, and her family, who were up the last day we were, and even did a few fireworks before we headed home. While being at the cabin isn't the same as when I was young, it's definitely still fun, and my family just loves being up there and can't wait until next time.
We stopped at a rest stop on the way to the cabin, so I could feed Emily and the kids could get out and run around. While I nursed, Brad, Brendan and Megan explored the area a little and then played some Frisbee (pictured above).
Emily says, "Yay! We're at the cabin!"
Cute little smile.
Mom, with Ellie. Josh and Cathy are behind her.
In an effort to entertain the kids, Brad was catching sunfish with a minnow net. They were smaller sunnies, but he caught a few!
Brendan, playing along the shoreline. Besides jumping off the dock into the water, his favorite water activities included using the minnow net and playing Gater Boys (where he hunted and tackled "gators" in the shallow water.) He also devised a game where he was a shark and he stalked and "ate" his prey (members of my family.) It is now forever in Crea family lore that he swam up to Cathy as a shark and started "eating" her. As he jumped around and "ate" he told Cathy what he was doing..."I'm eating your leg!" Chomp. Chomp. "I'm eating your stomach!" Chomp. Chomp. "I'm eating your lumps!" Chomp. Chomp. "I'm eating your nibbles!" Chomp. Chomp. Wait...lumps?!...nibbles?! Um...yeah. Think upper female anatomy and you'll figure out what he meant. Cathy just about fell over, and I hear that Josh almost drowned from laughing so hard.
Megan, jumping from the dock into dad's arms.
Megan's first real try at swimming. She did a great job and became very independent, very quickly.
My parents gave Brendan one of his birthday presents (a new fishing pole) to him early, so he could use it during the vacation.
My parents' new puppy, Ellie.
Megan just can't stay away from the pups!
We're headed fishing! My mom was kind enough to listen for Emily, who was napping, so I could go along too!
I'm delighted that Megan likes fishing. She likes touching the fish and she spent about an hour playing with the bait (the girl loves worms.)
My big sunny.
Megan absolutely crashed for her nap. It was so hot in the cabin that she woke up looking like she had just gone swimming!
Brad and Brendan...two of a kind!
A beautiful Rose Lake sunset.
Megan holding Emily.
Brad and Brendan, taking the pontoon out.
Fun at Rose Lake...playing games in the water.
Brad and Brendan tubing with Liz.
Tubing.
Megan driving the speedboat with Papa.
Brad has this wonderful habit of trying to kick you off your tube, which he didn't hesitate to use on Liz (even with Brendan on the tube with him!) He wasn't successful this time.
Megan's turn on the tube!
And Brendan's turn driving the speedboat with Papa!
Megan swimming by herself.
Baby weight? What baby weight? I specifically remember that chocolate cupcakes are good for losing baby weight...right?!
Our sunnies and bass in the holding tank.
Brendan helping Papa put the fish in the holding tank.
That is one sweaty, red-faced girl! It was so incredibly hot out that the kids were sweaty messes from just playing.
More fishing (with his new rod)!
It was so hot that even Emily got some time in the water. I was really surprised that she didn't mind the cool water at all.
It never ceases to amaze me how babies always are hungry at adult meal times. So, yet again, I nursed, burped, and cuddled with Emily, and then enjoyed my supper. Good thing she's so cute!
Brendan (and a Batman comic book) checking out the standing hammock
Gotta love all these extra baby-holders around here! Auntie Dooney got to snuggle with a sleepy Emily.
Birthday present time! For his birthday we had stuffed peppers and fish earlier in the week, then, when everyone was up, we opened gifts and had a Cookie Extravaganza!
Brendan opened a box of Goobers from Auntie Dooney (whose nickname for Brendan is Goober.)
Look mom, I'm Batman! (Thanks Josh and Zizzi Cathy!)
Brendan and Josh, getting all of his Batgear ready to play with.
A little light reading on the way home.
It was still in the high 90's at 7pm when we got home from the cabin. This marks the hottest Rose Lake vacation in my memory.
No comments:
Post a Comment