Sunday, June 10, 2012

(Great) Grandpa Myron's Birthday

We headed to Appleton, MN to celebrate Brad's Grandpa Myron's 85th birthday.  He's staying at the nursing home there, so Elenore (Brad's grandma), Gene and Mary (Brad's parents), Gary (Brad's uncle) and Marlys (Myron's sister, who is also at the nursing home) and our family had cake, strawberries, ice cream and coffee to celebrate Myron's birthday.  Emily and I started the visit off by getting stuck in the rain.  I was nursing her in the van while everyone else headed in, and it started to rain on and off.  When we were done, I waited for a lull in the rain, loaded up the baby gear, locked the van, took about three steps, and it started to absolutely downpour.  I covered Emily as best I could and made a bee-line for the nursing home...being careful because I was loaded down, wearing my slippery flip-flops, I'm particularly clumsy...and carrying an infant!  Brad saw what was happening from the window and met me at the door, shaking his head.  After our afternoon snack and some visiting, Brad, Gene and Brendan took off for Lake Oliver to see if the fish were biting, and Mary, Megan, Emily and I headed back to Madison to wait for the boys.  We played and visited, ate supper, followed by a later snack, then headed home with a van-full of very tired kids.


Great-Grandpa Myron, taking a look at his great-granddaughter, Emily. 


Great-Grandpa Myron having a chat with Emily, with Great-Grandma Elenore watching. 


Enjoying some birthday cake (from front and going clockwise: Myron, Marlys, Gene, Mary, Megan, myself holding Emily, Brendan, Gary, Elenore, and Brad's holding the camera.) 


Mmmmm...cake and ice cream! 


Megan insisted that she scoop her snack all by herself, but Grandma kept a close eye on her while we visited. 


I told Mary that Emily is starting to smile.  She made a fibber out of me when she refused to ante up.  This was as close as she got. 


Back in Madison, after a bust on the fishing, Gene and Mary took turns preparing some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  Megan supervised (and snuck chocolate chips from Grandpa.) 


Brendan entertained himself by playing Tanks on the Wii.  We try not to let him get this close to the tv, but I took this picture to show that the boy doesn't stop moving the entire time he plays videogames.  He jumps around and waves his hands and jumps around some more.  He's usually a sweaty mess when he's done. 


Brad with Emily, Mary putting the finishing touches on the cookies, and Gene chatting with Megan.

No comments: