Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rocco T. Crea

Here's to my Grandpa Rocco Crea, who went to be with the Lord on Saturday evening, June 5th, 2010. The world is a little less beautiful without you in it, but heaven is rejoicing with your presence. I love you.

Memory Lane...

Grandma and Grandpa at Rose Lake.


Grandpa in his old green rocking chair at Rose Lake.


Brad and I with Grandma and Grandpa at one of Grandpa's birthday parties.


Grandma and Grandpa on the "big swing" at Rose Lake. Taken 5-24-09.


Grandma and Grandpa on the steps of the "big cabin" at Rose Lake. Taken 7-4-08.


Grandpa with Brendan on a pontoon ride. Taken 7-12-09.


Grandpa, Grandma & Uncle Larry at St. Joseph's at at Brad and I's wedding rehersal. Taken on 8-20-04.


Grandma and Grandpa at our wedding. Taken 8-21-04.


I just love this picture of my Uncle Greg, Aunt Jeanne and their family with my grandparents. My Grandpa looks so joyful! Taken 8-21-04 at our wedding.


Grandpa getting to meet Megan for the first time, Christmas 2009. Taken 12-27-09.


The Rocco & Lorraine Crea family (l->r & b->f: Uncle Larry, Uncle Greg, Aunt Liz, Dad, Aunt Pauline, Grandpa & Grandma)


4 Generations (My grandpa Rocco, my dad, my husband, and my son.) Taken 4-4-2010 at the Crea Easter Dinner.


Grandpa giving Brendan a ride on his walker. Taken 11-27-08 at Thanksgiving at the Crea Farm.


Grandpa taking a nap at the cabin.


Grandma and Grandpa with me at college graduation.


Grandma and Grandpa with me as I left Rose Lake for my first day of college.


One of my favorites...my grandparents at Rose Lake...Grandma Adrian, Grandpa Crea and Grandma Crea.


Grandma and Grandpa with me on Fall Festival 1996 Coronation night, where I was crowned Princess and Miss Congeniality.

We were so very blessed by his presence in our lives. The priest said it so well at his funeral. "He was vintage. He was a gentleman. He was a prince. They just don't make them like him anymore." Grandpa had been slowly deteriorating these last few years, and especially these last couple months. He moved from sleeping in a bed to sleeping in a rocking chair so he was more elevated in his breathing. He had a couple of bad falls. His hearing got worse. His osteoporosis got worse. He had to be put on oxygen. He lost his confidence (because of the falls) in his ability to walk. This amazing man's body slowly started paying him back for all those years of hard work. It was very important to Grandpa to stay in his own home, and with the loving help of his kids, he was able to do that.
We got a call on Saturday morning that Grandpa was not doing well, and Brad and I decided that we would go on Sunday morning to visit him in the cities. After a few more calls from my family throughout the morning, detailing his worsening condition, we left for the cities on Saturday afternoon, getting to see him just two hours before he passed away, surrounded by his family, at his home. It was painful and beautiful to be a part of his passing, and it's definitely something I'll never forget. We each had our time with him, and I'll never forget how he brightened up when he saw Brendan, even on his death bed. We prayed for him and all gathered around him and said a rosary after he passed away. I'm very grateful to my husband for taking care of Brendan during the time we were there, so I could spend that time with my family. And Megan was so good, giving us the sweet distraction we needed, as only a baby can. We went back to Montevideo for a couple days, then headed back to the cities for the funeral.
We arrived at the wake on Wednesday and I was amazed at the people who came to pay their respects. It was overwhelming. On Thursday we met as a family at the funeral home, said our final good-byes and said some prayers, then headed to the church for the service. I helped lay the pall at the service, and Brad was a pallbearer. We sat up in the front row, right in front of the priest (which turned out to be not the best of ideas). Thank goodness the priest wasn't too irritated by distracting kids, because Brendan gave all distracting kids a run for their money during the service. Normally he's very well behaved in church, but during the service he couldn't sit still and couldn't be quiet. It was quite a bit frustrating, but he'd been good for so long at the funeral home, and he knew something different was going on, so I tried to be a patient mommy. The worst part came when my uncle went up to give his eulogy. Right at the beginning of my uncle speaking I noticed Brendan lean over to me and put his head by Megan, who was sitting on my lap. All of a sudden, Megan completely tensed up in my arms and took in a huge breath to get ready to scream. Brendan starts saying "I'm sorry, Megan, I'm sorry, Megan!" and Megan lets out a scream like I've never heard. He had bitten her! (And Brendan's NOT a biter...I couldn't believe it!) Poor baby! This is a picture of the bite mark on her arm four days afterward...

After the service we had some final prayers at the burial site, then headed back to the church for lunch. During lunch my cousin Peter, my aunt Pauline, and my dad gave beautiful and touching tributes to my grandpa. It was wonderful to see family that I haven't gotten to see in years, and Brendan had a fantastic time playing with my cousins Matthew and Nicholas, my cousin Rose's kids, and the Pedro family. We headed back to my grandparent's house after lunch and stayed with my grandma throughout the afternoon. It was a couple of very busy, very emotional days. Thank you to all of the friends and family who sent condolences and prayers. They were much appreciated. Please continue to pray and think of my grandma, who is adjusting to this new time in her life. My grandparents would have celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary on June 21st, 2010.

1 comment:

nona said...

What a touching and beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. Nona