Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Second Round of Surgeries

I completed all of my pre-op appointments on Tuesday and now have a better idea of what the next month will entail.

I go in to Abbott Northwestern Hospital at 7am on Monday, March 3rd, with surgery starting at 9am.  Dr. Schaefer will begin with the second stage of reconstruction (1 1/2 hours), followed by Dr. Bailey performing a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (plain speak: both ovaries and tubes removed)(45 min).  Individually, both surgeries are out-patient procedures, so we're hoping that the combination will remain that way and we will be able to go back to Montevideo that evening.  But it all depends on how my body responds to anesthesia and how the surgeries go.

I will be on a four-week, 10-pound lifting restriction, which I'm a little nervous about, with three rambunctious, very needy (like their mama!) kids.  My surgeon is adamant that I follow the restriction, even if I feel like I can push myself, to make sure there is no re-injury (which would require additional surgery.)  Brad is able to take a few days off to help us adjust, and I'm very thankful for that.  And our families are always here, usually before we even think to ask.

We will know within a couple of days after surgery what the pathology report is on my ovaries and tubes. (*mental chant* No cancer, no cancer, no cancer!)

Overall, the outlook is good, complication rates are low, and our spirits are high.  We're ready to get this final hurdle behind us!

The Future:
Looks beautiful

No comments: