On the evening after my Amery benefit...when everything was cleaned up, tallied up and loaded up...after Charlee had hand-delivered the donations...after Brad and I had read every card...and I had dried my tears of overwhelming gratitude, disbelief, and appreciation...I laid in bed until 3am, unable to sleep. The faces and memories of so many loved ones streamed through my mind, and a sense of nostalgia wrapped itself around my heart. I want to tell every single person who has helped shape me into the person I am today THANK YOU. I began thinking about writing something dedicated to everyone...a walk down memory lane, if you will. But I was too scared to. I didn't want to forget anyone and I knew that a "trip down memory lane" could fill many, many, MANY blog posts. So I scrapped the idea, too unsure about what I would say and too nervous about upsetting someone. But the idea won't leave me alone. I would love to take the time to write a card to so many of the people who have made a difference in my life, but with three kids and a body that is incredibly tired at the end of the day, I just can't get it done. So I'm just going to do it. I'm jumping in feet-first. Just be forewarned...if I don't mention you, it doesn't mean that I don't remember you or don't value you. It just means that I'm quickly glancing over 33 years of life in one blog post...and just blame it on my combination of mommy-brain and chemo-brain (how long do you think I can get away with saying that?!) Please keep in mind that I am very simply dusting off and shining up some old memories and trying to (in a very lazy way!) say "Hi!" and "I love you!" to some people that deserve it.
I'm thankful for my parents, who are the foundation of unconditional love, of compassion, and of faith.
Their morals, values, and support paved the way for me.
I'm thankful for my sisters; Liz, Lauren and Cathy. They are my example of how incredibly different four people can be, but how much you can love what is different than you. They were my playmates growing up (and by playmates I mean "people I could boss around"...at least that's what I'm told!) and the knowers of all of my secrets (most likely because they read my diary!) Each one is special, and I'm doing my best to step back and appreciate each for who they truly are.
Like branches on a tree
we grow in different directions
yet our roots
remain as one.
And I love watching our family tree grow! (Alexa, with Brendan)
I'm thankful for my grandparents. How I miss each of you. Watching old movies, playing cards, listening to your morning song, and experiencing history through your words. You each taught me about appreciation, about wanting the best for your family, and about good food. I. Miss. You.
My Grandpa Adrian passed away when I was in high school, and it was preceded by years and years of rehab from a series of strokes, but I am thankful for the fact that I still remember times from before the strokes.
I am thankful for extended family. Aunts and Uncles who are like parents...
...and shared memories and the knowledge that family ties you together like nothing else (Sorry Aunties! I couldn't find a picture with everyone in it!)
I am thankful for Virginia, whom I love fiercely. And Trace and Sharon (not pictured) whom I love just as much!
I am thankful for cousins that you can grow up with. Whom you can confide in, laugh with, and love like sisters. (And that goes for the rest of my cousins too! Although some of you I love like brothers instead.)
I am thankful for the fact that I had a wonderful childhood, filled with Girl Scouts, tap class, trips to Rose Lake, and playing at the farm with my sisters. I had great times with friends, from swimming and ice skating at Paula's, to riding horses with Kelly, to, well, more memories than I can relay.
I'm thankful for where I grew up.
I am thankful for the multitude of pets I had growing up. Each one, from Frankie the salamander, to Michaela my outside cat, to Dolly, and all the kittens, bunnies, and fish in between, taught me good lessons on love, loyalty, responsibility, and loss.
I'm thankful for Ingrid, my very first "busom buddy." My Little Ponies, bubblegum ice cream, sleepovers in the loft and in your playhouse, swimming at the beach, playing with Dusty, eating pizza and watching The Wizard Of Oz, sharing you with my sisters. Good times, my friend...
I am thankful for the the revolving door of best friends that makes up a childhood (usually depending on who is in your class.) Kindergarten and First Grade: Ingrid; Second Grade: Nicky F. and Becky L., Kelly S.; Third Grade: Krystin F., Fourth Grade: Alanna W., Fifth Grade: Amanda B. and Erin B.; and Sixth Grade: Julie F. and Ericka L. I am simultaneously looking forward to and dreading this with my own children!
I am thankful that in middle school I participated in environmental speaking where I learned how to write speeches and speak in public. I am thankful for CCD (and buying Bubbleicious gum with Jordan before class!) where I learned about my faith and enjoyed time with a large group of friends.
And I am thankful I survived adolescence. :)
I am thankful for Ericka and Heidi (pictured below). Childhood besties. Countless trips to the movies, listening to Salt-n-Pepa and Zhane'...
...and just spending time together.
I am thankful for Charlee. All of my early high school years revolve around this gal (and her sisters and Coco!) Charlee and I shared everything, from dreams to crushes to lazy summer days. She makes me laugh until I cry, and you simply can't get tired of spending time with her.
I am thankful for "my girls" (Julie, Leah, Angie, myself, Julie.) They are like family...and will forever be. I love each of you so much!
I am thankful for Rachel. You are brave and beautiful and optimistic. I wish I knew where you are today. You taught me that even if you are intimidated by someone, we are all the same inside. And even though our religious backgrounds were polar opposites, you taught me about learning about others' faith backgrounds without judgement. And you can dance like no other!
I am thankful for childhood friends. I can't put up pictures of everyone, but here are some more high school gal pals. How I love these ladies!
I am thankful for my high school varsity volleyball team. I learned many things while warming up with Lisa, while scrimmaging, and while conditioning. I learned about working hard, even if I wasn't always the one in the limelight. These ladies helped give me confidence, even if it wasn't something I noticed right away. And I learned about the importance of cheering others on. Even today, with my body not as quick as a high-schoolers and with knees I don't fully trust, my love for volleyball is HUGE.
I am thankful for Nathan. Getting to know Nate also introduced me to some amazing friends.
I am thankful for Rochelle. Sometimes it was like I was talking to myself. And you were the first person I ever prayed aloud with.
I am thankful for Band...and especially Tacy. Band was wonderful, yet another example of working hard at something that I wasn't naturally good at. And Tacy has always been someone I aspired to be like, which has made her friendship such a treasure for me.
I am thankful for the opportunity to serve on the Fall Festival Court. It was a wonderful way to build confidence, deepen friendships, learn more about my community, and learn twenty ways to do an up-do. :)
I am thankful for Justin. You are like a brother. And your mother took such wonderful care of my sisters and I growing up. Thank you for introducing me to the Olympics computer game, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, football and baseball stats, and those adventure books that you can pick your own endings to. You are a wonderful, caring person.
I am thankful for Andy. I never knew music could be played so loud! Losing you and your dad taught me many things, most importantly, to deeply appreciate those in my life. I think of you often.
I am thankful for teachers. I had many teachers that made a lasting impact on me. I liked many of my teachers, but there are a special few who REALLY shaped me, what I learned, and the way I view the world. I am especially thankful for Mr. Baldwin, Mrs. Skinner, Senora Holmes, Miss Maser, and my 6th grade teachers: Mrs. Swanson, Mrs. Liedl, Mrs. Millerman, and Miss Chapek.
I am thankful for dating. Of the guys I dated, four stand out has having greatly impacted parts of my life. I learned about...
my heart (with Matt)...
my mind (with Ryan)...
and my soul (with Peter).
And then I was lucky enough to meet someone who united all three (plus everything else about me!)
And then I was lucky enough to meet someone who united all three (plus everything else about me!)
Neither of us is perfect, but he's the perfect one for me.
Brad knows I like my french fries tender, my waffles crisp, and my drinking water at room temperature. He shakes his head at my affinity for storage tubs. He knows that life doesn't get much better than floating on Rose Lake on a hot day and hooking into a school of huge sunnies with him by my side. Or beating me at Boggle. Or reading books with our kids. Or napping together! He knows those little sentences to say that will instantly goad me, but also that the best way to calm me down is with a meaningful hug. He can tease me about the junk in my trunk, but also look at me with so much love that I feel like the most beautiful person in the world.
He knows me inside and out...my heart, my mind, my soul. And I, him.
And I would choose him again. Every. Single. Time.
I am so very thankful for my best friend. There's nobody in the world like him, and I am so unbelievably lucky that he chose to put up with me spend his life with me.
I am thankful for college. At Concordia, I met many people: fellow students, faculty, and staff, that shaped this part of my life. These four years, specifically the first two, were times of huge personal growth. I was out of my comfort zone. I learned a lot about friendship and relationships. And, academically, I was coming to terms with the shifting of the course of my life. All of these are life experiences that I wouldn't change for the world, because they have helped shape me, and have turned me into a better person.
I am thankful for my freshman roommate, Karen, and for Lindsey, Lyndsay and Clara. We experienced this time of growing, together, and I was so incredibly lucky to have them each within a twenty-foot radius.
I am thankful for my sophomore and junior year roommates; Teresa, Abby and Kristen. I have so many wonderful memories with these ladies...I learned to truly let loose and laugh with you. We could be studying, we could be going to a barn dance, we could be playing volleyball, or we could be just talking and we always had fun.
In college, Brad and I had the unbelievable good luck to be each be roommates with some of our closest friends in college. And as the years went by, new roommates and new friendships developed. By the time we graduated we were lucky enough to get to spend the majority of our time (you know...ummm...when we weren't going to class...) with a group of friends that centered around good ol' 1013 4th South Street. Ongoing poker and Canfield tournaments, games of kitchen basketball and basement ping-pong, grilling, X-box, a New Years "poop-drain" explosion and cleanup followed by Rob's amazing prime rib (seriously, I'm salivating just thinking about it!) It was the kind of place you had to escape to the library from if you needed to study...because there was always something fun going on, and someone else more than willing to join you.
I am thankful for Jim and Laura...
...and Joe and Jill, who ARE my junior and senior years of college.
I am thankful that I was involved with Orientation, which helped me to experience Concordia in a much deeper sense. And I became friends with some truly wonderful people...above, Shelley and Eric, as well as Adam and the entire team that served both years I was involved.
I am thankful for Nathan and Krista. Is there anything better than when two good friends fall in love? I don't think so. Nathan was there from studying freshmen chemistry to riding in bumpy African buses. And Krista was my African roomie, my personal synchronized swimming expert, and my Scheels co-worker. My favorite memory is gazing out over Africa from the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro with you. And seeing your smiling faces at my benefit.
I am thankful for so many others from college that I don't have pictures with...Ericka., Erik and Kris, Kevin, Terry, Mark, Rob, Kim, Emily, Ostin, Steve, Alani, Kristel, Dusty, Stephanie and Heather, everyone I went to Africa with, etc. You are each wrapped up in experiences and memories that I grew from and cherish.
I am thankful for my parents' life-long friends, and their families. You saw me grow up, you were at my graduation and at my wedding. You send me messages and keep in touch. You make time in your life to help a newly-married, not-much-do-it-yourself-experience, completely-unaware-of-how-much-contractors-cost couple re-do their first home. You are wonderful examples of life-long friendship.
I worked for almost five years at Twin Cities Orthopedics, and I am thankful for the many friends there, and for the administrative and marketing experience I was provided.
I have lived in Montevideo for five years, and have made some of the most wonderful friends imaginable. These people, this community, has lifted us up and supported us so much in the last year. Sometimes it's hard to believe I haven't spent my entire life here. MOPS, ECFE, Goldfleaf, Trinity, school, sports...being involved and accepted is something I am deeply thankful for.
I am thankful for my Megan Christine (now)...
...our blonde-haired, blue-eyed bundle of strength (at one year).
I am thankful for my Emily Rose (now)...
...our gift (at one year).
I am thankful for my in-laws and the entire Koosmann/Reiffenberger clan. Seriously. I grabbed the brass ring here, people. But it was more like the gold ring, they're so amazing. I always knew I married into a wonderful family, but the past year has proven to me, over and over again, how lucky I am to have each one of them by our side.
Gene and Mary have set an amazing example for us of selflessness and care. I am frequently stunned by their ability to know exactly what we need, before we can even ask.
And the same goes for Jill and Chuck, and Jason and Tami. Words can't express the joy that comes from wholeheartedly feeling like part of a family I wasn't born into.
(this is one of my favorite pics...we're all pregnant-Tami with Marni, Jill with Charlie, and myself with Brendan)
The kids (minus Signe and Emily)
The Koosmann Family
I am thankful for all of the friends and family who have gone down this medical path before me, and who have helped me, providing guidance, reassurance, and support.
* * * * *
I know this is a long post, and I know that this barely scratches the surface of how deeply you have all shaped me, but please know that you are all cared about, thought about, and loved.





















.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment