Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Twins Game...In Style

Brad and I experienced a once-in-a-lifetime (okay, okay....a twice-in-a-lifetime!) trip to the Champions Club at Target Field on Sunday. A huge thank you to my mom, as she delayed her vacation to the cabin for an afternoon to watch the kids for us.  We watched the Indians take batting practice, ate some amazing food (farmers market salad, prime rib, chicken tacos, and much, much more), and enjoyed the game from several vantage points (due to the blistering sun we ended up having to move around after awhile because it started making me sick.)  We watched the game from our original seats, from the air-conditioned Legends Club, from the aisle next to the Indians' dugout, and from the shaded Champions Club seats directly behind home base (that a staffer sweetly ushered us to once she figured out why we were moving around so much.)  The game itself was "Meh" as the Twins lost and there weren't very many exciting plays, but it was more about the experience of being there with Brad that stays with me anyway.

My two favorite memories from the game came from non-Twins moments.

First, before the game started, Brad and I each ran to the rest room.  As I was washing my hands, an elderly lady came into the fairly deserted bathroom.  She stopped and looked at me, clearly deciding if she should say what was on her mind.  I shot her a smile and said hello.  She exclaimed, "A fellow lady in arms!", making me laugh.  I never would have guessed that she was going through treatment, as her wig was fabulous and she looked incredibly healthy (yet another lesson in remembering that the burdens people carry are oftentimes not obvious!)  She asked how I was doing, and we chatted for awhile.  She had already had surgery and had just finished chemo (to which I gave her a congratulations hug...yep...I'm one of those people who will hug a person five minutes after I've met them!) and she shared that she was incredibly afraid of undergoing radiation.  I quickly explained the radiation procedures I'd been through and the treatments I'd had and tried to give her as much reassurance as I could. As I was headed back out to the game, she grabbed my arm and thanked me for making her day.  What more could you ask for as a result of going through this?  I couldn't wipe the smile from my face...what a gift I had been given in my being able to help tame the fear of someone who had to go through this too.

My second favorite memory came during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner.  As they raised the flag, the Twins recognized a 92-year-old veteran, surrounded by his family.  The jumbo-tron showed the elderly veteran as he solemnly raised the flag, and as the flag rose, the entire stadium erupted into cheers for him.  The stadium got louder.  And louder.  AND LOUDER.  And the veteran slowly started tearing up.  It was beautiful, and I was so proud of my fellow Americans for showing the veteran how thankful we are for his sacrifice.  I needed kleenex after that one!

It was a wonderful afternoon to celebrate our upcoming nine year anniversary, my kick-off to radiation, and to just enjoy being together...in style!







No comments: