Monday, July 1, 2013

Still Recovering

The days of summer have hit my family...long, lazy days where nothing much and a whole lot are simultaneously going on.  I've been so happy to be home with my family the last week to experience it with them (even if it was just by watching for most of it!)  So much has happened since the last time I wrote, and I'll try to give an update without being too long-winded.

My Recovery

I recovered from bilateral mastectomy, full node removal, and reconstruction for 2 1/2 weeks in the cities, while the kids stayed with Brad's sister, Jill, and her family for the first 1 1/2 weeks and with Brad's parents for the remaining week.  Brad bounced around between work and visiting the kids as he was able.  I saw the kids a couple of times when they were in the cities (which was both wonderful and hard) and I am so happy to say that all of the decisions we made were absolutely the right ones for everyone involved.  The kids enjoyed playtime with their cousins, aunt and uncle and grandparents, Bible Camp, lots of sports, and lots of activity and attention (pictures below.)  Brad was able to work and conserve a little vacation time.  I was able to focus on healing without feeling too guilty (but what parent doesn't have that, no matter what choice they make?)  My mom stayed with me in the cities (thanks, mom!) and I spent time with my family and friends, went for strengthening walks, did my exercises, went to follow-up appointments, and did my best to rest and relax.  I also got to be around for the birth of my niece, Alexa (to Cathy and Josh.)

After the 2 1/2 weeks in the cities, I headed home, only to head back to Gene and Mary's for another week.  We were having some necessary work done around the house, and with the combined need for help with the kids during the day and having to get the kids out of the way of our contractor, it provided the best option (although poor Gene and Mary didn't really get any down time after having the kids for so long!)

I responded to surgery better than I anticipated.  Yes, it was painful and difficult, but I didn't have any complications or setbacks, which is a blessing.  Thanks to my walking and to the actual healing of my body, I was able to see the progress I was making, which was motivating.  I tried to find a balance somewhere between allowing myself time to heal and pushing myself to get stronger.  My range of motion is pretty much back to normal on my right side, and it's at about 80% on my left (where I had the nodes removed.)  I definitely am still experiencing pain from the mastectomy and reconstruction, with most of it centralizing on the muscle edges around my expanders and the healing incisions from my drains (holy cow, did that hurt when they were removed!)

Staying busy with the kids has been the best medicine for me (although I overdid it at first by not listening to those who were trying to help me and I did a little too much lifting...but I'm trying to be a good little healer now...)

Sitting on the sidelines and letting others talk me into taking it easy has been my hardest emotional task so far.  I went through an emotional few days last week due to exhaustion (I'm still not sleeping the best at night), guilt and frustration (for not being able to do the things I want to), pain (from my recovery), and readiness to be home.  Poor Brad took the brunt of my frustration, and I his, but now that we're settled back at home, life is blissfully peaceful again (or as peaceful as having three little tornadoes, who are used to playing with their cousins all day can be!)

Thank you so much to everyone who helped us out, who brought meals and sent flowers, who watched our children and took such good care of them, who visited me and cared for me, and for everyone who is praying.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.


A picture of my sister, Lauren, and myself, four days post-op.  She made the comment that we've gotten to see each other more in the past few months than we have in the past few years.  Sad, but true.  I enjoyed getting to see her a few times when I was in the cities...and also the opportunity to have my toenails repainted, as I couldn't reach.


Jill and Chuck brought the kids over to my grandparents' house about a week after surgery.  I was SO HAPPY to see everyone.  The kids were very careful with me, and I have to admit that it was nice to be the one they were excited to see (think stay-at-home mom, and you'll know what I mean.)  I'm so thankful that they watched the kids for us. 


Cathy, who ended up being 10 days overdue before my niece decided to show her cute face, and I.


Jill, Chuck and their kids brought over Brendan, Megan and Emily for the afternoon, before Brad brought them to his parents'.  Jason, Tami, and their three girls showed up also, and it was wonderful to see everyone.  Above, Brad spent some time reading to Emily as all the kids were running around and playing.


My niece, Signe's, smile is absolutely dazzling!


 Jill was the best and regularly sent Brad and I pictures of the kids.  Above, Brendan (in the green) and Charlie.

Brendan, Megan, Emily, and Charlie, trying to make a rocket.


 Brendan still loves to vacuum, and he demonstrated it to Aunt Jill by helping vacuum out their camper.


Emily with Aunt Jill.


My Megan. 


Emily, enjoying the Nelson's puzzle box!


Near the end of my recovery from surgery, I was able make my first excursion out by celebrating my sister, Lauren's, birthday at Joe's Crab Shack.  I was pretty exhausted afterwards, but it felt good to be out and about for a little bit.  


No comments: