Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Is It Hot In Here, Or Is It Just Me?

One evening, about a week ago, I was laying in bed next to Brad, my head on his shoulder, watching him check out the March Madness scores when I felt something funny going on inside me.  It started out as a mild, but intense, stomachache that suddenly drifted upwards.  It crawled up my shoulders, up my neck, and then all the way up my face.  It was uncomfortable, slightly painful...and then suddenly I WAS BOILING HOT!  I looked at Brad and said, "I think I'm having a hot flash!" to which he replied, "I'd say so, my shoulder is sweating from your face!"

Ugh.  A hot flash.  I was kinda, sorta, maybe hoping that when my Oncologist asked if I'd had any, and I said no, that it would pass me by.  Bummer.

So, go hug each and every post-menopausal (and post-chemo!) woman that you know.  Let me tell you...it's not that fun.

My decreased estrogen levels, due to chemotherapy, have put me into temporary menopause....which explains the many hot flashes I've had in the last week.  I have to say that I now look back at the recent memories of my mom walking around shoeless and in jeans and a t-shirt in her 50-degree house in the middle of winter, and I can understand her a little better.  I understand her need to go stand outside, jacketless, in the middle of a snowstorm.  I understand...okay...that's about all I understand about my mother. (Hee hee!)

1 comment:

Katie Jurisch said...

Oh my! I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard that those menopausal hot flashes are referred to in the medical community as power surges. Yowza! Lots of prayers for you and yours, Noelle!