I started contracting after my doctor's appointment late Wednesday morning (after my doctor did some stripping he said, "Hope to see you tonight!" Boy was he right!) and the contractions became more regular and urgent at about suppertime (no eating for me...just wandering around the house, tidying up.) We called Brad's parents, asking them to meet us at the hospital to get Brendan and Megan at about 7:30pm. We packed the van up and loaded the kids in, then ended up waiting for Gene and Mary to come to the house instead because I wasn't sure if I was regular enough to head to the hospital (contractions 4-6 minutes apart.) The kids were excited, but a little unsure of what was going on (and I tried to stay away from them during the painful contractions because I didn't want to scare them.) Megan got a little upset when Brad and I left for the hospital, but after a few hugs from mom (and the promise of some ice cream from Grandma and Grandpa!) she was fine. Brad and I headed to the hospital (my contractions slowed to 6 min apart during the car ride and right afterward) and then we walked back and forth in the parking lot, trying to speed my contractions up (which it did...back to 4 minutes apart.) Gene and Mary stopped by with the kids on their way to go get ice cream, so we said hello and then headed into the hospital. We checked in, settled into the room, got acquainted with our labor and delivery nurse, and then I was put on the monitor for 20 minutes. Contractions were still 4-6 minutes, but laying down in the bed slowed them to a more regular 6 minutes apart. I still wasn't sure if I should be in the hospital yet, so the nurse called our info in to our physician and Brad and I wandered the maternity floor (contractions went up to 3 minutes apart and became much more painful.) When our physician showed up, things started progressing quickly. I called my parents to give them an update, and then I wandered around our room, alternating between getting through contractions and watching River Monsters, until my contractions were 2 minutes apart (basically on top of one another.) I had a shot of Fentinol to take the edge off the pain, and I was going to get into the whirlpool tub to get me moving faster, but Dr. Hanna came in, checked me, and told me that there wasn't time, so into bed I went. After a few more contractions, I pushed for 6 batches of 3 pushes at 10 seconds each push. The pain was intense (not gonna lie!), but I don't remember any pushing part with Megan (and I had an epidural with Brendan because of back labor and didn't feel anything) so it was pretty neat to get to feel my body actually adjusting and preparing to have the baby. A medical student delivered Emily, with Dr. Hanna, 2 delivery nurses, and Brad right there. Emily had the cord wrapped around her neck, loosely, but her coloring was good (apgars of 9, 10.) After her initial cries, she settled right down and hardly cried a peep. Brad and I cuddled her as Dr. Hanna put in a couple little stitches. Emily nursed well right from the start, and she slept a few longer stretches so Brad and I could get some sleep too. Brad was able to take two weeks off work, and we're loving having everyone home!
I love this picture because Megan is hugging the baby.
Getting through a contraction (this was earlier on, when the contractions were about 4 minutes apart, and painful, but not as painful as they will be!)
Emily Rose, weighing in at 7 lb, 12.7 oz.
Emily grasped on to the side of the scale and wouldn't let go. The nurses even commented on how strong she is.
My physician, Dr. Hanna (holding Emily), and the medical student (Lindsay) who delivered her.
Brad first getting to hold Emily.
What a happy and proud Daddy!
So glad that part is done!
Good morning, Emily!
On Thursday morning, Brad's dad stopped by with the kids. Brendan didn't stop smiling the whole time he was there, and he couldn't get enough holding her. He sat next to me, examining Emily and exclaiming, "Look at her little nostrils! Look at her little fingernails! Look at her little ears!"
Brendan and Megan, checking out their little sister.
Megan loves gently touching Emily's face, and her favorite expression is, "Look at her itty bitty fingers!"
Grandpa, getting a turn holding Emily.
My parents arrived at about noon on Thursday. Above, Nona is getting her first cuddle with Emily.
Papa with Emily.
Grandma, holding Emily, with Megan taking a peek.
Gene and Mary with Emily.
Brad's Aunt Korinne and Uncle Chuck came to visit and meet Emily. Emily just nestled right in and slept the whole time in Korinne's arms.
Our first family picture! (Taken right before we left the hospital.)
Emily, all bundled up to head home.
You forget how little they are!
We had so many wonderful visitors (Nurse Pat, Pastor Kathy, the Ziedlers, Kayla, Chuck and Korinne, etc.) and Goldleaf (Brad's work) sent us a beautiful bouquet of spring flowers, and my parents gave us bamboo.





No comments:
Post a Comment