Sunday, November 1, 2009

Payback is a....not so nice thing...

This evening I went out to mow the leaves (yes, the leaves) and I had gotten a much later start, due to a certain 2-year old who fought a brave fight against taking a nap, but who eventually surrendered (for two hours...yay!) Anyway...instead of having all afternoon outside to work, I had about 45 minutes, so I was in a rush. I got outside and couldn't find the garage door opener, which is usually kept on the top of the low cabinet just outside the back door. I can't count the number of times I had thought to myself "Self, you should move that opener because Brendan could easily reach it and then our only opener for the detached garage would be lost to the whim of a 2-year old." But, of course, I never "had the time" to pick the little opener up and move it to a safer location, and so it stayed on the top of the low cabinet. I called Brendan and Brad out to help me look for the opener. We checked Brendan's jacket and pants. I calmly picked Brendan up, showed him an opener that was similar to the lost one, and asked him if he had moved the one outside the door. He said yes, and so I asked him what he had done with it. He pointed out to the yard, and so we went on a ten minute search of our yard for the darn opener. We found plenty of dirt, rocks, sticks, and lots and lots of leaves, but no opener. In exasperation, we went inside, sure that we would only find the opener six months from now in some random outside location. Brad moved my jacket. We heard a clunk. We looked at each other. Brad said "Noelle, are you kidding?" and pulled the opener out of my pocket, where I had put it when I had been all dressed up to go outside earlier in the afternoon before the "battle of the nap" occurred, and I had to de-dress from my outside stuff to help out (and as a result get a 2-hour nap myself!) All-in-all, not that big of a deal, but it made me laugh to think about a certain little girl (that would be me) who distinctly remembers throwing the money her parents had saved for a swingset into the wind in our backyard, only to have her grandmother find it in a purse at her house a few months later. Serves me right that, not only did my little guy not take the opener (even though he said he did...his imagination is so much like his mommy's sometimes!), but I was the culprit all along.

No comments: