Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Brendan's First Day of Kindergarten

Brendan's first day of school has arrived (and I'm so happy to be at home to share it with him!)  We enjoyed a waffle breakfast to kick-start his first day and did the morning routine, getting him to the end of the driveway a few minutes before our designated 7:24 am pickup time.  He was so excited to ride the bus that he was literally jumping up and down as it approached.  The only time I got emotional all morning was as the bus pulled away and he stuck his smiling face to the window and slowly waved as the bus pulled away.  I may have shed a few small mommy tears.  But I didn't have time to get overly emotional because we loaded the girls up and headed to Brendan's school to settle him in.  After a small mishap where Brendan, in his excitement, got off the bus at the wrong school, he made it to kindergarten.  I got to see his room, give him one last hug, and then we showed Megan where her Explorers classroom is, which she'll be starting next Monday.  

Luckily, the rest of the day went by quickly.  The girls played very well together, lunch was eaten, naps were taken, and before I knew it, it was time to head to the end of the driveway to wait for Brendan.  I wasn't sure what time the bus would be coming by, so I grabbed Emily (Megan was still napping) and we waited outside for about a half hour, playing and watching the vehicles drive by.  At about 4pm the bus came by....and didn't stop.  No Brendan.  I semi-calmly waited to see if the bus would stop a bit after our driveway because they had just forgotten to let him off, but it zoomed down the highway and out of sight.  I admit that I stood there a little dumbfounded...not quite sure what to do next.  I quickly got over that and hightailed it into the house and called the school, where they radioed the bus driver and it turns out that Brendan just hadn't spoken up when the driver went past the house.  He was safely dropped off in our driveway...and I can pretty much guess that he won't be forgotten again after that exciting first day!

School went well.  He really likes his teacher, is making new friends, enjoyed his lunch of chicken fajitas, had fun during recess, learned about manners, listened to a story and colored some pictures, went to the bathroom just fine..."Mom, stop asking me questions, you're making me cranky!"  Oooops!  Ease back, Noelle!

We had pesto pasta and steak for supper (his favorite), he played with Grandma and Grandpa a little (who had stopped by to drop off our van, which had been fixed in Madison), mowed part of the lawn with me, and played basketball with Brad.  Then it was bedtime.  What a day!  Wait, we have to do this again tomorrow?!  Well, hopefully without the bus excitement, anyway!

Here are the traditional "first day of school" pictures...








Emily and I, playing in the gravel, waiting for the bus to come after Brendan's first day. 


There goes the bus!  Where's Brendan? 


He's finally home!

No comments: