It's racing kids to appointments (Do you really have to practice zipping your own zipper when we're five minutes late?)
It's 500 games of Candyland a day (I know you love the candy cards, Megs, but you can't carry them around in your purse.)
It's kids being hungry for snacks at 8:15am when the breakfast dishes aren't even cleaned off the table yet (and basically every half hour between then and bedtime!)
It's wiping bottoms ("MMMOOOMMMM! I'm DOONNNEEE!" I can hear Megan screaming it in my sleep!)
It's pulling things out of Emily's hands before they get to her mouth (Who needs a stereo volume knob anyway?)
It's protecting the computer from Brendan (Yes, chess is fun, but lets read a book!)
It's doing laundry (and catching Megan in her fifth outfit of the day!)
...and a million other moments that shape my daily life. I love it!
We've also had some funnies that I want to share with you...something to make you (me) smile. I realize that most of these aren't bust-out-laughing, but they sure are refreshing comments and situations after the last couple of weeks. Plus, they're my kids, and things always seem funnier when they come out of your own kids' mouths!
Yesterday, Brendan and Megan were playing doctor and I came in the living room to find Brendan set up at the play table with their kids computer, decked out like a doctor, talking on their pretend cell phone. He'd type things into his computer, then talk some more on the cell phone, until I stopped him and asked him what he was doing. He informed me that he was a doctor, advising a lady on the phone, who had cancer, and telling her what to do. Hmmmm...too much cancer talk in our house lately!
Yesterday afternoon, Megan was walking around without any socks on her feet. We were getting ready to settle down for "rest time" (don't ever call it "nap time!") and I requested that she find and put on her socks. To which she stuck out her hip, put her little hand on it, shot me a sassy look and stated, "Nona doesn't wear socks, so I'm just not going to either." (Thanks, Nona.--and you have to understand that my mother keeps her house at about 52 degrees and walks around barefoot all day--and you can bet your bottom dollar that little girl had socks on her feet at rest time...and had gotten a talking-to about not sassing her mama.) :)
Every day Brendan is more and more into sports. Football, baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer, golf, professional, college...it just doesn't matter. At lunch one day he was talking with Brad, very emphatically, about the Vikings. I wasn't paying too much attention to him, until I heard him talk about the player "Ham Ball." Brad and I caught each other's quizzical stares, until Brad burst out laughing, saying, "Brendan, his name is Campbell....not ham ball!"
And later that day, Brendan was asking Brad about how the hockey game of the Minnesota Wild versus the "Knuckles" turned out. Nope, Brendan, it's the Canucks.
Brendan and Megan were dancing around in the living room to the song "Macarena." Every time the singer would sing the end phrase, "Hey, Macarena!" they would jump around and shout, "Hey, Mozzarella!" I thought it was too funny to correct them.
Brendan's pre-school teacher and I were talking and she commented on how Brendan has appeared to have adjusted to my diagnosis well, based on some comments she's heard at school:
Brendan was telling Ms. Peggy that I'm taking a medicine that will make my hair fall out, but that he's really excited because we're going to cut my hair really short and he gets to help...and he'll like my short hair because then he won't have to pick up all my clumps of long hair around the house when it falls out!
And my absolute favorite: Ms. Peggy said they were having table time, where the students were all gathered around a table, talking and doing a project. She said that Brendan announced, "My mom's sick." She said she lightly prompted him to talk about it a little more, to see how he was handling it. "Yep, my mom has strep throat...oh, and cancer...but we're being really careful about her sore throat!"
And, last night, Megan and I were running around, chasing each other, and I noticed that she had her left hand clenched together the whole time, with her pointer and thumb appearing to hold something. "What do you have in your hand?" I asked her. She grinned a sly little grin and me, held up her fingers and announced, "It's my pet booger!" (to which I yelped in horror--making her laugh even more--I took a picture and made her get rid of the thing. Hmmmm...maybe she needs a goldfish or something...)
Megan, clenching her pet booger. (She's so going to kill me one day for putting this on the blog!)
2 comments:
Oh my goodness, Noelle! My kids ask for food too-practically as they are swallowing the last bite from the meal. They justify it by telling me "That was lunch! I am asking for a SNACK! Not the same thing, Mom!"
So glad the kids are adjusting well! Wish we were closer...my three would have a blast with your three!
You have an amazing family, I enjoy reading about the daily life of your clan. Wonderful how kids can accept things so well, they are so simple, something for us to look up to.:-) love you!
Post a Comment