Upon me putting a filled plate of lunch in front of her, Megan leaned back in her chair, lazily stretched and crossed her arms and legs and sighed, "Ahhhhh....this is the life!"
Overheard while Megan was serving Emily some pretend cookies in their play kitchen, "Welcome to The Celestial Suitor Cookie Corner. Made by us with the very best technology and humanity." (Whaaaaat?!)
Megan had been playing with Emily for awhile when I noticed her bouncing around and acting strangely. Finally, she got up and, running by me, yelled out, "I wish life didn't make us stop having fun and go to the bathroom all the time!" (Yeah, that sure is one of life's bummers!)
At the dinner table, out of the blue, Megan threw her hands up in the air and did a little wiggle-dance in her seat, singing, "I go bananas over Grandma!" (Me too!)
Like most kids, Megan absorbs a lot of info during her day. I could tell she had watched an episode of Wild Kratts (a children's wildlife cartoon on PBS) when, during our supper conversation, she declared, "Brad looks like a tarsier with his big ears!" (Baahahahaha! Google that one!)
After supper one evening I was cleaning up the kitchen and Brendan walked into the kitchen, wrapped his arms around me, and sweetly informed me, "You get an extra dollar out of my wallet because you're such a hard worker." (Wait, I get PAID to do this job?!)
I overheard Megan say to Emily, as I was getting into the shower, "The tummy is where mommy had babies!" (Is that what happened to it?)
Megan got a scrape on her arm, and asked for a band-aid. As is my custom, I put on the band-aid, then lightly kissed it. Megan hopped down from the counter with a smile on her face and sweetly said, "Kisses always make band-aids best."
I was reading Megan a book and in the middle of it she decided she needed one of her stuffed animals. Excitedly, she jumped up out of my lap, loudly instructing me, "Stay calm...I'll be right back!" (Whew, because I was about to get very not-calm!)
Megan was playing with Emily one afternoon and Emily was clearly getting to her tired stage, as she started to get more and more fussy. Finally, Megan stood up dramatically, and with an exasperated sigh and big eye roll, she loudly sighed "She's SUCH a 2-year-old!" (Ugh, I know, right?!)
Brad, Brendan and Megan were at Brad's parent's house, having spent the afternoon there and having supper with them. They were getting ready to come home when Brendan whined, "I'm hungry!" To which Megan loudly replied, "For God's-sakes mister...you've had 3 meals already!"
Brendan was dragging his feet in putting away the Xbox one Sunday afternoon, when we were all cleaning up the living room. Megan stomped by him and huffed, "Quit dilly-dallying around, Brendan!" (Help! My 5-year-old just turned into an 80-year-old!)
Megan and Brendan happened upon Brad and I kissing in the kitchen. As Brendan pretend-gagged, Megan got a huge smile on her face and chirped, "Awwww, CUTE!"
Megan had one of those afternoons, where her over-tiredness directed all of her actions and responses. In short, she was a complete bear. A nap seemed to make it worse. Her little emotions were all over the place, and we were all a little worn out from the dramatics of the afternoon. Brad ended up giving her a bath before bedtime, and a squeaky-clean and smiling Megan found me afterward, cheerily proclaiming, "Mom! I feel so much better! Dad scrubbed the whiny virus off me!" (Where does she get this stuff?! It wasn't from Brad or I!)
Brad and I were discussing the fact that Brendan had been wearing his Vikings jersey to school a lot lately...at least twice a week, if not more. I was concerned that maybe he would start to be teased by other kids because of repeatedly wearing the same outfit. Brad looked at me, and with a blase' sweep of his hand, reassured me by saying, "Don't worry. I wore sweatpants every day until I was in 6th grade. He's fine." (Nice. It's hereditary.)
Emily (who has been sick with a cold) came up to me, shoved her half-covered index finger in my face, and declared in a wonder-filled voice, "That is some serious booger." (Ahhhhhhhh!!!!)
Megan sweetly shared a toy with Emily and I heard Emily respond, "Thank you Megan. You're my most specialest friend ever. I love you." (Awwww....sisters! I WILL remind you of this in ten years!)
Our kids, like most kids, are not the easiest to handle when it comes to bedtime. No matter how much we prep or try to streamline, there are always about ten reasons they need to get out of bed each night. As much as I try to stay calm, I usually end the evening a little (or a lot!) frustrated. Such was the case one evening, as Emily had been thinking up any excuse under the sun (or moon...ahahaha!) to call me into her room or get out of bed. She'd already gone to the bathroom, gotten a couple of drinks of water, and an extra hug and kiss when she came out, announcing that she really, really, really had to go the bathroom again. I swallowed down my
"Emily! That is ridiculous!" I growled.
Sweetly, she looked up at me. "No, Mommy, it's potty!" (And there you have it!)
No comments:
Post a Comment