I managed to stay the entire event and was under the watchful and loving attention of several, so I rested occasionally, washed my hands frequently, and did my best to wear my mask (although I took it off for pictures and when I was talking with kids-because it tended to scare them.) My adrenaline and joy kept me on my feet, smiling, and hugging all day. I did pay for it the following week, but I would do it again in a heartbeat! (And nobody in our family got sick! Booyah!)
The only two things I would change are that I wish I would have taken a big family picture with Brad's family, and I wish I had grabbed the microphone and given a good thank-you to the organizers and attendees. At the time it was offered I hesitated...a bit overwhelmed with how I could properly thank people for an event I couldn't even wrap my mind around yet. Words just didn't seem like enough. People who came lined up out the door and into the parking lot. Some waited for an hour just to get a hug and some food. We filled a building that I thought was unfillable. So, a huge, HUGE thank you to everyone that came. This community is more supportive and loving than you could believe. We feel beyond blessed to be a part of it. A monster thank-you to everyone who organized the event. I was told, last November, that they were planning an event for us. They gave me the date. They said that's all I needed to know. I literally showed up. These amazing people did everything. Thank you for the gift of that.
My family and I thank everyone...from those who organized, to those who donated, to those who helped out, to those that came and supported us. A huge hug to you all!
Below are a few pictures from the event. There are way more out there (I'm so sorry if people on Facebook are sick of seeing and hearing about me!) but here are a handful of my favorites...
The silent auction items, all set up and ready to go!
The kids' games (which included Plinko, a fishing game, Frosty's snowball fight, a crafty table, face-painting, a dress-up and picture stand, and a basketball shooting game.) I barely saw my children (except for when they occasionally handed us fistfuls of candy!) and they had so. much. fun!
Face Painting!
Artsy, Crafty Decorating!
The Amsberrys...all dressed up and ready to party!
A barbecue and hot dog lunch.
Emily and Megan, trying out the John Deere furniture set. (They approved!)
So many of my family members made it from the cities! I think we're just missing a picture of Jerry, Jen and Sebastian, who I managed to track down later in the event.
Brad and I, welcoming everyone.
My sister-in-law, Tami, and niece, Signe. We felt absolutely surrounded by loved ones.
No matter how much time comes and goes between seeing them, I can't get over how much we laugh and talk. Friends are the best! (Above, with Laura and Jill, friends from the college days.)
The amazing group of ladies who organized everything. Thank you!
My dad was supposed to be in Haiti during this time and was going to miss the event. (Although, secretly, he had arranged to leave early and make it just in time to surprise me! I would have been a blubbering mess!) Due to unrest in Haiti, his trip was canceled, so he, my mom, my sister Lauren, and my Aunt Lois were able to come together.
The line of people circled through-out the room and out the door, into the parking lot. Amazing!
Brendan, Megan and Emily were each given basketballs, autographed by the Montevideo varsity players!
A big group picture, after the event.
Brad, Brendan (who begged off wearing pink, because his too-large shirt would get in the way of his playing with friends...seriously, mom...priorities!), Megan, Emily, and I.
Thank you for the gift of this day!

















No comments:
Post a Comment