Every once in awhile, the kids want to watch old home videos. Above, they're watching with Brad.
One of our annual Family Advent Activities: sleeping "under" the Christmas tree.
Brendan ended up waking up at 11pm with an earache (his first ever) and he and I rocked until 2am. Poor guy, he was in so much pain! We tried staying sitting up, a hot rag, and medicine, but exhaustion ended up winning in the end, allowing him (and I!) a few hours of sleep. I took him to the doctor a couple days later and we got him some ear drops, but those ear infections...not fun.
Another Family Advent Activity: a made-up game of Make It To The Mistletoe.
Basically, it's a game of hide and seek, but if you sneak past the seeker and make it to the mistletoe, you win. Above, Brad was the seeker, with an Emily-helper.
Brendan's turn as the seeker. You had to put on earphones and count to thirty. We're pretty serious about our hide-and-seek around here!
The mistletoe (hanging from the fan) in Make It To The Mistletoe.
A family hug after the game.
And then a family squish-pile
*Gross-Alert!*
Brendan, working on his loose top tooth.
He kept begging me to pull it out for him, and I tried twice, but it just wasn't ready (and I'm not as hard-core as my dad was, where he'd dental-floss lasso those suckers out).
Megan (bottom left) and Brendan (top middle) singing at their church Christmas program.
Grandpa and Grandma, participating in the congregation sing-along.
Thank goodness for Grandma's raisins! Emily was a little bit of a crabby-pants (irregardless of the angelic smile) and those raisins ended up keeping her quiet for most of the concert.
It's gone! The tooth is gone!
Thank you to Brendan's music teacher, who (I'm told) donned her latex gloves and helped remove the offender. Teachers wear many hats!
Megan's learning to read!
So, the earache I mentioned above was quickly followed by a weird, sand-papery rash. Finally alarmed enough to take him in to the doctor, we found out that Brendan actually had strep, although he had none of the normal symptoms (fever, chills, white on his tonsils, the "strep smell", etc.). In fact, his unusual strep had progressed so fully that it had developed into scarlet fever (the rash), which can be dangerous if left untreated. Boy, was I frustrated with myself for not taking him in earlier, even though he'd been acting pretty normal. My "mommy sense" failed me this time. So we got some meds in him, gave him some baking soda baths to alleviate the itchiness from the rash, and kept him home from school for the last two days before Christmas break. He got lots of rest, cuddling, reading, and ipad time in the next few days. He was non-contagious and feeling like himself by Christmas, thank goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment